[kj] Re: Bye Bye Tower Records

Michael Halsted halsted at ilm.com
Tue Oct 10 12:28:11 EDT 2006

Worked for different Towers for six years as my college
job - ending as the CD buyer for the Berkeley Tower in 1992.
That place was slowly beginning to sink then.  The corporate
office kept making these new release deals where the stores
would end up with a metric assload of product.  After about
a year, I'd be packing up copies of Guns N' Roses' and
Springsteen's "Release two separate albums at the same time
to be a petulent pain in the ass" releases and Van Halen's
F.U.C.K. CD (it always comes back to this) since they didn't
sell.  And the discount on these bulk orders wouldn't offset
the loss of sending the crap back.

The Berkeley Tower was about 4 miles away from the Oakland
Hills.  When the Oakland Hills fire happened, the streets
were filling with smoke and we had to close down the store
not knowing if it'd be there the next day.  I can remember
myself and a friend of mine frantically going through our
hold bin trying to figure out what irreplaceable things we
need to buy so we could save them from the fire.  Then put
up the "riot boards" (seemed like twice a year there'd be
a riot of some sort - Berkeley CAN be fun!) and walk out into
the smokey streets.  About six months later I quit to finish
school...I still have dreams about being called in to close
the store and having no idea how the store's run...