[kj] Bye Bye Tower Records

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Tue Oct 10 04:35:21 EDT 2006

The Tower Records music/video/book chain of stores here in the US has been
sold to liquidators who are immediately selling off all the assets and will
close down all the stores in the coming weeks.

Personally for me, I have a lot of great memories of seeing on-store
appearances by bands at several California stores, especially the big one on
Sunset Blvd in Hollywood. They also carried a lot of decent imports as well
as off-the-wall magazines that you'd never find just about anywhere else. As
more and more record stores disappear, Tower has been one of the last music
based stores I still liked browsing through on a slow day.

True, most of their catalog cd prices were high, ranging upwards of $18.99
but even right up to the end before several record companies cut off their
distribution, you could still buy a new cd release for anywhere from $9.99
to $11.99. Basically big chain stores that sell cds as a "loss leader" have
undercut them as well as internet sellers( who do the same thing) in growing
numbers over the last decade. Along with the shrinking number of smaller
"mom n' pop" record stores, it'll mean far smaller sales for small
independent bands and an overall further lack of diversity in what you'll
easily find in the remaining big retail stores like Walmart and Best Buy.

Starting this past weekend, they're beginning to discount everything and as
the next few weeks progress and they struggle to unload the rest of the
harder to move inventory, you see basically "fire sales" leading up to the
store closures.

T.B.