[kj] comebacks / reunions (re: Jane's Addiction Reformation)

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Thu Oct 5 15:41:24 EDT 2006

"Michael Halsted" wrote:

> The two reformations that I really enjoyed:
>
> WIRE (especially live - remarkable.)
> Mission of Burma (sonically it almost seemed like they were never gone)

I really enjoyed the Bauhaus reunion shows, notably the 1998 tour. The show
I caught at the Hollywood Palladium that tour was a huge surprise as far as
how good the band was. It was a shame they couldn't keep it together long
enough to record a new album. The current 2005-06 reunion has been ok but
Peter Murphy has really been showing his age physically and it remains to be
seen if anything further will come of it as far as a studio album.

The Cult's 1999 - 2000 reunion and studio album were pretty decent as well.
I thought the "Beyond Good And Evil" album was really solid and it was a
shame the band fell apart mostly due to their record labels' ineptitude. The
current reunion/reformation is alright but they're getting more and more to
be an oldies band with little drive to do anything new.

Other reunions that imo, have been fairly successful on an artistic level
(even if you don't like the bands) include The Black Crows, Judas Priest,
Iron Maiden and Concrete Blonde. A few that have produced decent results as
far as live shows even though they've been mostly oldies- based cash grabs
include Bruce Springsteen (with the E Street Band), The Eagles, Fleetwood
Mac, Cream and Black Sabbath (at least the '96-'97 shows). However, on the
bottom rung of the ladder, my picks for worst, most disastrous and
ill-advised reunions or bastardizations of the respective band's legacy have
to be the Sammy Hagar/Van Halen 2004 tour/reunion, The Doors with Ian
Astbury, and the almost unknown Lords of the New Church debacle in 2001-'02.
I won't even see or listen to current incarnations of Queen, Thin Lizzy or
Creedence Clearwater Revival simply because the respective frontman were
such a huge part of their bands.

Bands I'd like to see give it another shot include Love and Rockets, The
Jesus and Mary Chain, Talking Heads and The J Geils Band. I am looking
forward to the upcoming Smashing Pumpkins reunion. On the other hand, much
as I loved the David Lee Roth era Van Halen, a Roth-fronted reunion would be
a sad, laughable affair at this point in their careers.

T.B.