[kj] OT: now iPods

PRAEst76 praest76 at escapism.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 06:00:06 EST 2006

Stephen Robinson wrote:

> There is a program that puts MP3s onto a shuffle in Linux, possibly other

> models but I don't have one so I don't know.

Oh I think there are quite a few, the problem is doing te opposite,
putting iTunes purchases into non-Apple sanctioned players without going
via a CDR first. I know CDRs are fairly cheap these days but still.. I'd
rather not waste them.

I've been rather liking amarok on linux which in my opinion is a perfect
audio player... or at least fairly close.

> I've used the amiga version and that worked well, in fact better than

> Itunes, as all you do is drag and drop then run the program command

> "amishuffle usb0:" or something like that, and it updates the table of

> contents, or what ever it is that makes iPods work.

I miss my old miggy sometimes, but it's hard to get an Amiga to live up
to modern requirements without some spending some serious cash on
hardware first.

> I hate the fiddly irritating iTunes, but I hate all that sort of thing, I'll

> choose where my files go thank you very much. And why do you have to select

> all the tracks before coverting selection to MP3s? I've shoved a CD in I've

> selected convert to MP3s, how often would you not want to covert all the

> tracks of an album? Bah, nanny state computing, sack o' cack. etc etc.

I've always had a particular loathing for the culture of making
everything into a "suite". It's partly why I like linux. Most of the
software is made to do one ask and one task only. It's also why I still
like winamp on Windows and am against them adding more compulsory
non-plugin "features".

The only thing I miss from not using iTunes is the inability to buy
anything from the store. I would occasionally like to buy the odd
exclusive track. Richard H. Kirk has been putting out some stuff
exclusively on iTunes.

--
PRAEst76
http://www.escapism.co.uk/praest76/