[kj] Tower Records closing in US, massive discounts, great time to get KJ stuff from them

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Mon Nov 27 18:38:58 EST 2006

"B. Oliver Sheppard" wrote:

> Long-running US music retail chain Tower Records is closing very soon in

> the USA (no exact date yet). But the discounts they're having are

> anywhere from 40% to 60% on all their remaining stock. It's going fast,

> too, Xmas season and all.

> I was able to get a new copy of Hosannas from the Basements of Hell on

> double 12" vinyl there the other day for about $10. The vinyl is a

> delicious bright marble blue color. If it was candy, I'd eat it. Each

> of the blue slabs of vinyl was in a black slip-sleeve.

> The art sure as hell looks better with the vinyl LP opened up like a

> book, in full, rich color, than it does on the CD booklet.

I've been dropping in to several Tower Record stores in my area in Southern
California the past month when they first started discounting. I did get a
few pretty decent deals on some import stuff but for the most part,
especially on their dvd releases, up until they dropped down to the 40%
discount level, the deals weren't that good as the discount was off *retail
list price* which in many cases was still way higher than most other stores
normally sell cds and dvds for. And now, most of their decent stock is gone.
They're at the point where even the racks and fixtures have prices on them
for anyone who wants to haul off something like that (for what, a new cd
store? LOL!) I'll probably hit a couple stores in the next week or so if
they discount any further and perhaps pick up a few cds or dvds that I
normally wouldn't buy at any higher of a price.

T.B.