[kj] Jaz's subtle restoration

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 19 19:38:06 EST 2006

When I put on a Killing Joke record, I do not expect to hear Bryan Ferry
or Barry White, personally. Jaz said he uses the band for "catharsis" on
the electronic press kit that was leaked onto YouTube; that's how a lot
of the vox sound to me. For him to be on stage surrounded by columns of
fire, in war paint, in his black industrial flight suit, sounding like
Flock of Seagulls, would be weird.

The hoarse quality to some o the more recent material may be from years
of use in jaz's case. But Ian MacKaye, singer of Minor Threat, started
out doing harsh, drill sergeant barking-type hardcore vocals, now does
soft, melodic political folk-type stuff.

Personally, I like it when Jaz flips the Lemmy/Motorhead switch to "on"
on his vocals. I sure wish to hell I could do it. Songs like "Universe
B" and "Seeing Red" display the trade off between the dynamics
excellently. His gruff style in in the Lemmy-Chronos(early Venom)-Rob
Miller(Amebix) class of harshness, but it seems like he's choosing to do
that a lot more lately, rather than having it inflicted on him
unwillingly. GOOD. I like it, m'self.

-Oliver