[kj] Rollins gets it, Q doesn't & the Cult in NYC

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 16 11:55:47 EST 2006

Cheers for that, Alex.

That reminds me of a VH1 (I think it was) program I caught recently,
titled something like "Great Albums: Nirvana-Nevermind," where they
apparently dissect an album for an hour-long show, with interviews and
anecdotes about influences, what the band was thinking when they did
each song, etc.

They went virtually song by song, so I checked in off and on to see what
they would say about "Come as You Are"...and they totally glossed over
it. Mind you, this piece included interviews with Grohl, producer Butch
Vig, the bass player, music journo's talking about what Kurt was
thinking and how they came up with a specific riff or lyrics, etc. But
for this song, I mostly forgot what they said, but it was
inconsequential...some guy trying to interpret "Come as you are" (the
phrase) as a way of life or motto for Cobain. ("He just wanted you to
like, come as you are, man." That sort of thing.) Ridiculously
uninformative.

I suppose it's naive to think a show that the band and associates
willingly interviewed for would touch on this mild "controversy," but it
just seemed like the elephant in the room. You'd think by this point it
could be seen as just a good story (rather than a potential lawsuit).