[kj] Rollins gets it, Q doesn't & the Cult in NYC

Leigh Newton angrytomhanks at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 23:26:06 EST 2006

Nirvana were awesome. Fuck Q.

----- Original Message ----
From: Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net>
To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!) <gathering at misera.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 9:42:36 PM
Subject: [kj] Rollins gets it, Q doesn't & the Cult in NYC

Hey gang....

Been a while since I've posted -- been up to my eyeballs in inane crap of late. In any event, two little items floated across my transem recently that I figured I should post here.

Firstly, there's "Fanatic" by Henry Rollins, a book which is basically a lengthy playlist of every song the burly, tattooed ex-Black Flag frontman played on his Indie 103.1 radio show, "Harmony in My Head". Along with countless obscure tracks, Rollins cites...

"Change" by Killing Joke - From the classic 1st album, KILLING JOKE. I have a few of their records but this first one is my favorite. I always thought that was one of the coolest band names I ever heard. Played with them outdoors at the Fleadh Festival in 1991 I think it was and they were intense. Jaz Coleman the band's singer is an inspiration. He never calms down.

Henry cites a lot of other great records as well. It's not essential, but it made for interesting reading.

On other fronts, the latest issue of Q features a cover story about the rise and fall of :::::yawn::::: Nirvana. As a half-baked sidebar, they present "The Roots of Nirvana, 20 tracks that inspired Kurt Cobain". The list cites tracks by Sonic Youth, the Pixies, Boston, Terry Jacks, The Knack, Black Flag, Aerosmith, Daniel Johnston, Leadbelly, the Beatles, the Melvins, the Meat Puppets, the Butthole Surfers, Iggy & the Stooges, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Sex Pistols, The Vaselines and Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

...and, typically, no mention of Killing Joke.

Fuck Nirvana.

Lastly, the Cult ploughed into NYC last night, and I couldn't help myself from attending. Read my review-of-sorts -- if you care -- by clicking on the link below:

http://vassifer.blogs.com/alexinnyc/2006/11/the_cult_in_nyc.html

Cheers, fuckers!

Alex in NYC

Want to start your own business?