[kj] Killingly amazed

god botherer acroastic at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 2 10:57:13 EST 2006

Hi Lennonka!

Right, so now I'm guessing you're Czech. Dobry den! Jak se maj?

No, I can't really speak Czech, but I've been to your (?) country many times
- to Prague, to Ostrava, to Kutna Hora, Karlstein, to the mountains in the
east (forgotten their name) and to the very old village in those parts near
where I saw a wonderful night time open air concert featuring ambient music
by Czech artists including Satori. Yours is a beautiful country with
friendly people (well, unless you happen to be a gypsy!). Whereabouts do you
live?

About my discovery of Killing Joke: Wardance came at me out of the radio in
1980. It was a moment of revelation. It sounded like fire in sound form. I'd
never heard anything like it, and went and bought it the next day, so then I
heard Pssyche (the other side of the single). Then it was a while before I
took my interest further. I did not fully realize at that time how different
they were to the various punk groups I was getting into at the time - many
of whom I didn't think too much of really.

Eventually I bought the first album, and again it was like nothing I'd ever
heard before. I began to see an integral feature of all that has been best
in Killing Joke music over the years which is this capacity to contain so
many emotions simultaneously. So you have anger, melancholy, joy and
exultation all at once. I am still at a loss to name other music that can do
the same. Some of the best classical music can move from one mood to another
in the course of a symphony, and express one at a time profoundly, but
Killing Joke music is a paradox. It is a complete experience, and although I
have wide and varied musical tastes, and many albums, when I play Killing
Joke there is nothing else that can come after, so nothing does.

I first saw Killing Joke in June 1981 (I was very young!). After the gig
people were coming out just stunned by the brilliance and intensity of the
experience. I was compelled to simply run and run and run. This first gig
was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Needless to say I have
been back for more. I lost count after fifty gigs.

Most contemporary music - if it is any good - can be classed as
entertainment, but entertainment has never seemed an appropriate term for
Killing Joke. It is an intense experience.

Killing Joke live has never been quite the same since Jaz went off to
Iceland and returned in 1982. Before then there was something extraordinary
in their performance, which has never really been captured properly on film.
The nearest I've seen is footage from the Hammersmith Palais London show in
February 1982 a couple of days before Jaz disappeared. I know French TV were
there (I was there) and it looked as though they were filming the whole
show, but I've only seen six songs in black and white poor quality, but
still you can see something very real is going on. Since then Jaz has
striven to make contact with whatever force coursed through his veins before
Iceland. From time to time, a little of it returns. A lot of the time it
seems he's trying to 'fake it to make it' - and sometimes gets there. That
said, there is still nothing to match a Killing Joke gig.

And it's not all about Jaz either! Many of us love this music while
recognizing that Jaz is a very flawed character - but which of us isn't? We
don't do hero worship round here.

It's great to hear that people are still discovering this music. It's
amazing to me that even within the last couple of years something like
Gratitude could have been recorded.

It's true, there are a few weaker areas of the catalogue, and one or two
rare embarassments. No one album ever seemed to be the ultimate work - and
no one track either.

One thing that you will see from the views expressed here is that there is
very little concensus over Killing Joke's best work, but I think that's all
part of the fascination. Most groups have a small number of tracks that the
fan base generally agree to be their best, but that doesn't seem to be the
case round here. Most agree that the album Outside the Gate (1988) is the
low point, but even that is worth having.

I imagine Requiem (1980) might be the most universally liked track, while
not being many people's actual favourite. The album Brighter Than a Thousand
Suns (1986) polarises opinion most. Many people don't get it. On the surface
it can seem tamer than much of their output, but I absolutely adore it.

Wow! I didn't mean to write that much! Sorry, I got a bit carried away! I
think I'll go and have a lie down.

I'm interested to know: just how well known is Jaz in the Czech Republic?
What do people think about him, and his appearance in Rok Dabla? Do many
people know Killing Joke? Did you hear the album Jaz did with Cechomor? If
so what did you think? I think it's quite beautiful in parts. What other
music are you into?

Best wishes

Si