[kj] Night Time, BTATS and commerciality

Geoffrey ODonoghue go1845 at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 22:28:41 EDT 2006

I'd like to put my antipodean 2 cents into this discussion.

  I personally hear a move to more accessible music (call it commerciality if you want) on Night Time. I'm glad KJ did so because it was LLB that first caught my ear - who knows when, or if, I would have encountered the band and become a fan had they not had their period of chart success?
  Although Night Time contains some of the all time greatest KJ tunes, it also includes stuff that seems like filler to me - namely Multitudes and Europe which sound like uninspired variants of LLB and K&Q respectively. Other criticisms aside, I don't consider Night Time's accessibility to be detrimental to the music. On making my way back through the KJ catalogue, I found that I didn't like Fire Dances at all because - to my ears at the time - Night Time was quite a departure in sound from that album. (FD is still one of my least favourite KJ albums - musically it's very good [if not brilliant] but lyrically I find it repetitive and uninspired).
  BTATS is one of my favourite KJ albums. My taste in music has changed considerably since I first heard it (in the late 80s) and I can now hear how the production has rendered a number of the songs quite toothless. Nonetheless - the songs are very well crafted and Jaz is at his most evocative and poetic. And Rubicon kicks arse :)

  Geoff