[kj] Sheffield

Dave Noonan noonan.hq at ntlworld.com
Mon May 8 04:04:32 EDT 2006

Not exactly a classic but then not bad at all. Geordie had a guitar problem
during Bloodsport and had to change mid song, which he didn't exactly appear
delighted with - though he managed to light a tab in the meantime, cool
fucker that he is. Energetic versions of Psyche, Frenzy, MINOG, Wardance and
at long last I got to hear Unspeakable live which was a personal highlight.
The corporation was a real 80's throwback, it was only until I retired
breathless and sweating like a cart horse from the sparse, and rather
lightweight it has to be said, mosh pit that I started to feel everyone of
my forty one years! One song I would drop from the set and I didn't think I
would say this as it is a favourite on disk is Requiem, which sounded very
very tired. Just like the rest of the dates by the sound of it, there were
only three new songs Invocation, Hosannas and Majestic (?). The bassist
filled in fine, but maybe it's just me but I would have preferred it if he
brought a little something different rather than being an almost direct
replacement for Raven - he had his running mascara on and had a slightly
'sad clown' demeanour, no complaints about ability - just needed a bit more
presence. A couple of things occurred to me on the way home: How do they
choose the setlist? Is is favourites to play (for them), or do they judge
from the crowd reaction what goes down best, as surely it needs a shake up -
and I know this has been discussed on this list, some of the plodders need
to be 'rested' like Requiem & Communion. Also nowadays what do the other
members feel about Jaz's post apocalyptic gloom outlook (particularly the
new lads) - do they subscribe to it, or do they just dig the music?

Songs I want back in the set that I haven't heard live for too long:
Nightime
Tabazan
Kings & Queens
Tension
Firedances
The Hum
Fall of Because
Chop Chop

And after hearing the new songs from Hosannas - I wouldn't mind an airing of
the other new ones.
Worth the trip South and orbiting a wonderfully over-complicated one way
system around Sheffield for half an hour.
Thanks all those who threw, shoved, punched a big lummox in a red MD shirt
around...you know who you are...
--
Dave
Leeds