[kj] HOSANNAS production

dammit bleep hawk044 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 11:10:40 EST 2006

I agree with regards to the production on the album
vs. the MP3s. I had a similar conversation with
another longtime Joke fan who heard the download and
was disappointed in the production. I seem to remember
the KJ2003 downloads being not as good in sound
quality as the actual disc.

All that said, I realize that the band and production
staff were experimenting with "lo-fi-ing" the
production in order to achieve a dark sound. However,
I think it's a little overdone. Especially in contrast
to the last release. Andy and company really surprised
me with KJ2003.

Now, either way you look at it, someone (the band,
fans, production staff, whomever) can offer up the
theory of deliberate contrasts as part of the KJ
ethos. OK. Fine. But an ENTIRE album sonding as if it
were produced in a dank, wet dungeon? Sure. More
fodder for Gatherers' infamous album cross-references
and debates I know.

And what's with the James Bondish "Invocation"? Is it
just me or does anybody else get that notion from
Track #3?

I'm not tearing down the album, just puzzled by the
direction the band has chosen.

-jim