[kj] Hated footy players past n present

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 27 09:40:49 EST 2006

Interesting thoughts there, but I think there are few problems.

  For a start, where's your evidence that no-one has seen these threats? He could have shown them to many people and there would be no way for you to know it.

  How do you know he didn't contact the Swiss police? Death threat cases are notoriously hard to investigate; an anonymous letter arrives from London- where do you go from there? How do you find the writer?

  Retiring and not speaking to the media sounds like a fairly sensible response to death threats against you and your family. If you took the threats seriously, then you're not going to continue placing yourself in danger.

  He didn't contact The Sun. He issued a press statement that was published in a great number of media sources.

  As for your final story about the ref forced to move, that's good to hear. It demonstrates precisely the lengths some football fans will go to if they think they're team has been cheated. More than one website claimed to have access to and publish the ref's e-mail address (which wasn't hard to find, apparently) and phone number so there were certainly ways to get the threats to him.

  It all comes down to whether you think there are Chelsea fans capable of this. You obviously don't, but we know there are England fans willing to do it. Hell, the ref is usually the least popular person on the pitch. Is it really that unbelieveable that a handful of aggrieved fans would take out their anger on the ref?

  It doesn't matter what team they support. Even Chelsea is guaranteed to have some psychotic supporters.

FLIGHT BRINGER <flightbringer at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
  P.S.
If he had been threatened and he took the threats seriously and he feared
for his life, Do you think that he should have
A. Informed the police and asked for protection or...................
B. Ignored the Police and everyone in Authority and Contacted The Sun
newspaper, the same newspaper that published a European Refs E-mail address
, home telephone number and the location of his house, after the Ref gave a
wrong decision that got England knocked out the Euros two years previously?
The same newspaper that told its readers to "tell the Ref what they thought
of him" and the ref received over 20 000 abusive, threatening e-mails from
The Suns readers and had to move home.

Would you have chosen A or B ?