[kj] From the KJ boards

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 23 10:00:27 EST 2006

"Alex will know, hes a journo"

Is this a wind-up?

In any case, I have absolutely no insight nor the foggiest clue into
this sad matter. But, it certainly wouldn't be the *FIRST* time Raven
has, pardon the pun, flown from the nest. My guess is that it's
purely a combination of financial mismanagement and pride. I get the
impression that Jaz seems to think Killing Joke is purely himself and
Geordie (regardless of the purple-prosed declarations of bonhomie he
tirelessly dusts off in interviews ala "we live right `round the
corner from each other! We're mates, we are!" crapola). Even more
depressing is the hypocrisy of Jaz in that latest issue of Mojo
wherein he calls Roger Waters a "wanker" for not recognizing that a
band's success is contingent on chemistry (basically damning Waters
for the schism that tore apart Pink Floyd circa THE FINAL CUT -- the
Floyd's own OUTSIDE THE GATE, if you will). If Jaz walked it like he
talked it, I bet Raven (and Big Paul, for that matter) would still be
in the fold today.

But, y'know, these guys are all human -- I think -- and prone to
making big-headed mistakes like the rest of us. Moreover, despite our
lofty vision of Killing Joke being some sort've gang-like fraternal
order, at the end of the day, it's a business concern -- and if said
business concern isn't generating fiscal returns, certain members of
the organization might feel obliged to take their talents elsewhere
wherein to earn enough profits to survive. Raven's heart might belong
in Killing Joke, but if they can't get their shit together on the
business side of things (and history has suggested that they've yet
to achieve that goal), who can fault him for entertaining another
offer that has a greater chance of paying out?

Either way, if Killing Joke come to town with Youth or Taif or Troy
Gregory or even Andy Rourke on bass instead of Raven, I'll still
fucking go. But as far as I'm concerned, it won't quite be the same.

Alex in NYC