[kj] Off Topic : I-Movie help!

iPat pmdavies at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 17:55:02 EST 2006

if you can put it onto a dv tape - if you have a video camera that
would be useful.
I have never taken anything off a dvd and used it with iMovie (which
is the easiest movie editing system there is!), i use a different
editing program.

from the help menu

You can import audio, video, and still images to use in your movie.
Audio files must be in AIFF format or another format that works with
QuickTime.
Digital video (DV) is different from analog video formats (such as
Hi-8, VHS, and SVHS) in that it stores video and audio information as
digital code. The quality of the sound or picture does not deteriorate
when you copy digital video, as it does with analog formats.

When you import live video from your iSight camera, iMovie
automatically converts the footage into digital video that can be used
in iMovie.

To convert video in 8mm, Hi-8, VHS, or SVHS format to DV format you
need a special converter with standard S-Video and RCA input/output
ports for video and audio, and a FireWire (IEEE 1394) input/output
port.

If you use this converter, you can't control your camera or deck with
iMovie. However, you can control the camera directly to import video
clips and use all of the iMovie editing features, then export your
video through the converter back to your regular video recorder or
camera. For more information, see the iMovie website.

If you have a DV camera that has S-Video or Composite video input
ports on the camera, you may be able to use the camera itself as a
converter box. Consult your camera owner's guide for information on
"recording from a VCR" or "recording TV programs using an A/V
connecting cable.

--
Pat
Out from the Shed, Come a rising young star,