[kj] SOAD Drummer

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 2 10:21:55 EST 2006

'Generic' is the only word that springs to my mind when I hear a fair amount of Jim Martin's guitar parts. 'KFAD' and 'AOTY' had more bad songs on their other albums certainly, but half of 'Angel Dust' is littered with Martin's just-about-good-enough metalisms ('Jizzlobber', for example), making him the weakest link on the album.

  Jim.

Leigh Newton <angrytomhanks at yahoo.com> wrote:
  No waaaaaaaaaay! Well, yes, what he played was pretty
standard, but the songs weren't guitar driven when he
was in the band. It was all the instruments meshing
together in a big stew. You could tell that the songs
were written without much input from Jim and that he'd
sort of add his stuff at the end of the process. It
all made for an amazing sound. The stuff they did
after was a lot more guitar driven and sounded a lot
more generic. Plus, i think Angel Dust was the last
album where they all really gave a shit. The next 2
just sound like going through the motions. Especially
Album of the Year. There's a couple of amazing songs
on there, but you can just hear the ambivilence
inbetween the notes. Plus, shit like Collision and
Mouth to Mouth and Carhalo Voador and Take This Bottle
and Coocoo for Caca are all unforgiveably bad.

Leigh