[kj] Ministry in NYC tonight

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Thu Jun 15 12:04:37 EDT 2006

"Alex Smith" wrote:

> I'll post a longer, more detailed review later, but some thoughts re:
> Ministry last night....

(snip)

I have to agree 100% with everything you mentioned. I saw the tour in
Hollywood about a month ago and could use your comments word-for-word to
describe the show I saw. I'd seen Ministry 4 times prior leading back to
'92 and was pretty disappointed in their current set and current lineup
(especially the drummer). Basically, it was a relentless, pummeling aural
assault coupled with the fact that the HOB must not have any working AC as
the place was a sweaty oven even before Ministry came on. I give Al credit
for playing something like 7 tunes off the newest album in a row at the
beginning of their set but really, it's nothing near their best work and
sonically, it got monotonous really fast.

I had never seen Revolting Cocks before and I was much more impressed and
entertained by them than Ministry. I thought the Charlie Chaplin / Hitler
singer was fairly entertaining, much moreso than the fat John Belushi
lookin' guy or the weightlifter "singer." Also, their drummer was pretty
impressive in the kit although he seemed to not be mic'd properly and yeah,
Revco's bassist is one hot number. Also, did Revco start off and end with
snippets of Cheap Trick's old tune "Hello There" like they did in Hollywood?

BTW, you didn't miss a thing in skipping Pitbull Daycare. Typical retro-punk
with an annoying singer who constantly slapped himself in the head to
accentuate every lyric.

T.B.