[kj] OT: WC

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 13 12:17:56 EDT 2006

About 75% of my American friends locally are following the World Cup
very closely. (Compared to, say 2% of them give a crap about Killing
Joke, though I've beat them over the head with it for years). I have so
many email threads going right now among various groups of friends about
the World Cup games that I'm getting nothing done at work (not that I
expected any different from this month). I finally started copying
everyone on my responses, trying to condense them (about 50 different
people chiming in).

[But I can't talk about the WC matches on this list because you damn
Europeans (haha) get to watch them live! -- whereas I'm recording them
and remaining ignorant until I can watch them at home. But as a
Czech-American, I was gutted and sick during that whole match! I knew
the U.S. would be overmatched, but they looked lost and devoid of
effort, too. Torn loyalties made me hope for a 2-2 tie.]

That said, most of these friends don't follow much international
football between World Cups. But they care. This tourney is such a
fantastic gathering from both a cultural and sporting perspective, it's
hard not to be enchanted by it.

But yeah, despite the national team's growth in the last 16 years, don't
expect a tipping point about the sport's growth here. Every young kid
seems to play just for easy exercise, but their parents and media
attention inevitably drive them to the "major" sports of
football/basketball/baseball. However, the sport will inevitably
continue to grow in this country because of the immigrant
populations--who themselves are already largely responsible for the
success of the domestic league. Media may not follow it, and "regular"
white Americans might not understand it, but there's a host of
immigrants and their descendents--U.S. citizens in the truest sense--who
will one day have the economic critical mass to make the sport a factor.
And Billy Bob American still won't understand why it's so.