[kj] Cut out the middleman

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 13:28:16 EST 2006

It's a fine line that the recording industry has avoided for to long.  And
the obvious reason is money.  The cost the reproduce CDs is cheaper than any
other recordable medium out there.  PERIOD.  It is a fact.  And they have
such a stanglehold on the entire manufacturing business that they do not
have to admit to it.
What I predict will happen is that artists will have songs available on
their site (ala iTunes) and for additional money you can order the physical
CD.  And, hopefully, what will happen is that we will no longer see a simple
folded cover with a picture on the front and type on the back.  Some thought
and artistic flair will be put BACK IN TO these releases like what used to
be so common.  Everyone got lazy in packaging, etc.  I am guessing since
early 80s the majority of releases went to crap.
It is a big transitional time.  If the artists do it right they can not only
be freer from their contract but also see more of the rewards.
This will affect even how reccording contracts are handled

Chris