[kj] Re: two more cents on the album and other needless grumblings

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 17:01:03 EST 2006

Been spinning the album (so to speak --- I'm not sure there's any
actual "spinning" involved when mp3's are played) more and more. I'm
starting to warm to "Tribal Antidote" quite a bit. I'm not especially
fond of "Invocation" and "Lightbringers," to be perfectly frank. I do
quite enjoy "Majestic" and "Walking With Gods" (particularly the
latter), though I do wish some of these tracks were a bit shorter.
While it's indeed a treat to be able to hear the record, am I still
anxious to hear the album "properly" when it's officially released. I
know there's been loads of speculation about whether or not these
represent the final mixing process or not.  I think my problem with
this disc is that there's no *SPACE* in the mix. Go back and listen to
What's THIS for...! or FIREDANCES. There is clear definition between
the players on those records. I don't feel any breathing room on these
tracks (which might explain why Jaz feels the need to do so much
shouting). Also, notice how Jaz has abandoned the "lizard voice" from
the last record? One trait of KJ2003 that's remained however is what
I'd call the "implant garble" (when all other sound but Jaz falls away,
and Jaz tries to speed-read through a jumble of apoplectic lyrics).

Any guesses about possible singles?  I can't imagine which.

Alex in NYC