[kj] OT : those infamous Jyllands-Posten cartoons ...

iPat pmdavies at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 05:22:05 EST 2006

 "The question is: Is there not truth in religions, in theories, in ideals,
in beliefs? Let us examine. What do we mean by religion? Surely, not
organized religion, not Hinduism, Buddhism, or Christianity—which are all
organized beliefs with their propaganda, conversion, proselytism,
compulsion, and so on. Is there any truth in organized religion? It may
engulf, enmesh truth, but the organized religion itself is not true.
Therefore, organized religion is false, it separates man from man. You are a
Muslim, I am a Hindu, another is a Christian or a Buddhist—and we are
wrangling, butchering each other. Is there any truth in that? We are not
discussing religion as the pursuit of truth, but we are considering if there
is any truth in organized religion. We are so conditioned by organized
religion to think there is truth in it that we have come to believe that by
calling oneself a Hindu, one is somebody, or one will find God.

How absurd, sir; to find God, to find reality, there must be virtue. Virtue
is freedom, and only through freedom can truth be discovered—not when you
are caught in the hands of organized religion, with its beliefs. And is
there any truth in theories, in ideals, in beliefs? Why do you have beliefs?
Obviously, because beliefs give you security, comfort, safety, a guide. In
yourself you are frightened, you want to be protected, you want to lean on
somebody, and therefore, you create the ideal, which prevents you from
understanding that which is. Therefore, an ideal becomes a hindrance to
action."
Krishnamurti