[kj] OT: power or prayer

fatpotanga fatpotanga at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 04:31:19 EST 2006

This made me smile:
In fact, I'm thinking it could be the premise for one of those quirky
English films with Jim Broadbent & Pete Postlethwait, that no one goes to
see.

God Joins Police in Fight Against Evil

Police have added another weapon to their crime-fighting arsenal - the power
of prayer.

In what is seen by some as a bizarre attempt to stop crime levels rising to
biblical proportions, police n Nottingham have asked the city's
congregations to direct their prayers at crime hot-spots. The results have
been remarkable, according to Inspector Alan Stuart. The inspector, a lay
preacher, said after parishioners were asked to direct their prayers at
youth crime in the suburb of Arnold, the number of people aged 17 and under
arrest fell from 130 in 1997 to 80 in 1999. 'The only thing we are doing
differently in Arnold is praying,' he said. While admitting prayers may be
an unusual approach to preventing crime, Inspector Stuart said the results
spoke for themselves. 'We already have anecdotal evidence that problems in
the shopping area have calmed and a shed burglar was apprehended right after
a prayer session about shed break-ins,' he said. 'The Lord is certainly on
the move and this is only the start.' Local vicar the Rev. Lesley de Pomerai
described the project as unique, adding: 'God wants us to be specific so his
power can be targeted.'

But Darwinist Richard Dawkins was sceptical about the approach. 'If the
police of Nottingham are as gullible as this, it's a wonder they ever solve
any crimes' he said.

London Metro - March 2000