[kj] OT: Arctic Monkeys

bluce ree bluceree2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 10:19:58 EST 2006

they reminded me of a really bad college band.  I did
lots of gigs in college and we'd often support or be
supported by really gash groups and i dont remember
many of them being particularly worse than the Arctic
Monkeys (they certainly didnt have that bad a name).

like Marc says they arent really doing anything new
and musically they aren't that good.  that guitar solo
on the first single was a) awful, b) tasteless, c)
unnecessary.  vocals arent great either.  making a
cheap and nasty video was purely an ironic/retro thing
anyway.  more of this late 70s/early 80s fetish that
is so popular right now.

that said, I dont hate them.  I'm just a bit perplexed
as to why they are so successful.  their music doesnt
warrant their success but that said thats the case
with a lot of bands.