[kj] Pleasure/Pain , One Word.............

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 11 23:01:41 EST 2006

I used to feel that way about The Beatles until a few years back. I've
gone from disliking the Beatles (too much omnipresence in the culture
had me biased against them from the beginning) and being apathetic bout
the Stones to liking both bands. As with all things musically, including
early Killing Joke, it comes back to context -- what they were doing in
their place, time, and musical climate. If I'm not mistaken, Sgt.
Pepper's was the first meta-album ever released by a pop/rock group.
Some of the Lennon songwriting is just phenomenal - "I am the Walrus,"
"Hello Bulldog," "In My Life," etc., etc. McCartney I like less, but
then you have stuff like "Helter Skelter," which I like. Some of the
mono versions of this stuff are superior. But I like a Stones album like
"Aftermath" or "Between the Buttons" almost more than any single Beatles
album I can think of.

More than either of these two my fave 60s rock would still probably have
to be the '66 era garage proto-punk stuff, (Monks, Zachary Thaks, Blue
Stars, Les Fleur des Lys), some of which the Stones stuff resembles more
than most of what the Beatles did. But I've come around lately to
actually liking several Beatles albums, mostly from Revolver onwards til
their breakup.

-Oliver