[kj] Tribal Freedom

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 5 19:44:33 EST 2006

I personally love Hosannas to death. I saw the electronic press kit
where they were bragging about the relatively lo-tech way it was
recorded compared to a lot of bands these days (I guess nu-metal type
bands). But since my primary love is raw, crusty DIY hardcore punk type
stuff like Tragedy or Born Dead Icons or World Burns to Death, I thought
Hosannas sounded spectacular. It's definitely a few levels above low
budget punk type recordings (in fact quit, a bit so quite the symphonic
components, etc.) and it seems like Jaz is really exploring the
Lemmy/Motorhead side of his vocalizations more, which is all the better
for me. I like it when Killing Joke are harsh, caustic, thrashy, and
raw, personally.

However, I do think "Total Invasion" and "Seeing Red" from 2003 are two
of the finest songs KJ have probably ever made, however they did it.
That is just instant classic stuff.

-Oliver