[kj] Tribal Freedom

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 14:59:59 EST 2006

On 12/1/06, Darth E. Vader <crackedmachine at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I think the idea that overdubbing guitars was somehow

> dishonest is the porblem with Hosanannas, as opposed

> to all those carping about Jaz' vocals.

> The sound of the 2003 album is better because the

> guitars sound more powerful.

The production on _Hosannas_ is raw in a way that detracts slightly
from the whole effect, as it sounds large but oddly distant. I try to
picture how the recording was set up to capture that sound, or if it
was done in the mix. Someone said it sounds like they smeared plate
reverb all over it. Doesn't sound like a plausible room ambience
(_Fire Dances_ maybe), or a weird space of dubby alienation (like on
_WTF_). I would rather hear a raw sound that's more close-up. Maybe
mics on each amp, over the drums and in the room, plus vox of course,
to get a mix of direct signal and live room. A bit like they record
orchestras.

Also the KJ productions from 1994-2003 all sounded a bit hi-tech,
which is a contrast that can be a bit jarring.

--Mark