[kj] OT... World Destruction

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 5 08:59:22 EST 2006

The Belgians played both sides, initially promoting a Tutsi king (Kigeli
V) who imposed austere measures on the Hutus, but then backed a Hutu
coup against him before setting the country loose in 1962. The Hutus
exacted equally austere measures back upon the Tutsis, out of revenge
(limiting Tutsi income and employment, etc.), and in 1990 both Belgian
and French military forces were on the ground protecting the despotic
Hutu regime that had outlawed Tutsi political parties, during a Tutsi
revolt. This was not moral support from afar; this was on-the-grund
Belgian and French armed military forces protecting the pretty unsavory
Hutu despot.

So, the French and Belgians helped suppress the Tutsi uprising of
1990-91. A ceasefire was brokered in Belgium in 1991. That went down the
shitter in '94 when the Hutu president was assassinated in '94. The
Hutus said the Tutsis did it, but that was never proven. Tutsis said
radical Hutus wanting to provoke a civil war did it (not an
impossibility, either). That's when the genocide began.

I am not sure why the Belgians initially instituted a harsh Tutsi
monarchy to rule over the Hutus and then switched sides a decade later
and backed a coup against the same Tutsi leadership, putting a Hutu govt
in power, and then decolonizing. But countries have been known to do odd
things. In the 1980s the US supported Saddam and gave him billions in
loan guarantees while he was suppressing Kurds. Then the next decade the
US encouraged a Shi'a uprising against him, and the Kurds are touted as
the US's best friends.

It happens.

-Oliver