[kj] Iron Maiden vs Van Halen

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Thu Aug 24 09:56:27 EDT 2006

"P Bernardi" wrote:

> Dickinson and Roth (at least in my long ago teenage mind) are light years
> apart.

Agreed. However both frontmen have their pluses and negatives. Roth was
obnoxious, was a mediocre singer and quickly became a parody of himself by
the time he left Van Halen in '85. Dickinson has always been a bitchy
primadonna to the point I often wonder why he bothers being in a rock band.

> I fucking hated van halen. if there ever was a pussy poser band it was
> them.
> every redneck hick douche bag was tea bagging that over rated band.

Everyone has a right to their opinion and I respect yours but back in their
prime with David Lee Roth, Van Halen was unbeatable and were a *huge*
influence on just about every hard rock band, and not just guitarists. Sure,
Roth was a douche but on their first 4 albums and some material on their 5th
and 6th lps, they put out some great hard rock. A lot of people go by their
debut album as their best, but imo, their 4th one, "Fair Warning" is a
unheralded gem. When Sammy Hagar joined, the band pretty much became a
slightly better version of "safe" bands like Journey, putting out
lightweight rock.

My perspective comes from seeing them basically from start to finish of
their career. The first time I saw Van Halen was a little over a year before
they released their first album in early '77 playing in a club doing about
50/50 original material and covers of other mid 70's hard rock bands. That
was my first time seeing a live band in any setting and I made it a point to
catch them every tour whenever they played the Los Angeles area from '78 all
the way through their mostly mediocre 2004 "reunion tour" with the awful
Sammy Hagar. It's actually pretty sad how pathetic Roth and especially Eddie
have become. Eddie is now just a wasted, bitter drunk.

> sure, theres some cool guitar shiz, but that rhythm section bored me to
> tears and did any lead singer of van halen ever have anything interesting
> to say? yeah, you made your lyrics up on the spot, day of recording - we
> can tell. thanks.

Heh, I don't care for most of Sammy Hagar's lyrics, but Roth at his best had
a keen sense of humor that was lacking in most hard rock at the time, Bon
Scott era AC/DC excepted.

> despite all their over the top-ness. at least, Maiden were imaginitive and
> Steve Harris is killer (pun intended) bass player.

You get no argument from me about Iron Maiden. Of all the early 80's metal
bands that hit it big, they certainly were by far the best of the bunch.

T.B.