Tinnitus Re: [kj] RE: OT: MAKE IT STOP!

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Fri Aug 11 12:18:32 EDT 2006

"Jari Pakarinen" wrote:

> Here's the whole thing:
>
> Melatonin
>
> What it is
> A hormone produced in the brain's pineal gland that is best known for
> controlling the wake/sleep cycle. Levels rise in the evening, and
> subside in the morning.
>
> What it claims to do
> Helps counter sleep deprivation and jetlag.
>
> What to look for on the label
> Melatonin can't be bought in UK shops,but, it is widely available on
> the internet or in the US. Look for dosages of 2mg of melatonin which
> should be taken on the first evening you arrive in a new time zone.
> Continue this dosage for five days.
>
> Does it work?
> Several trials have shown it can help prevent jetlag. This year a
> team at Washington University found that taking 3mg daily (a higher
> than normal dose) for four weeks, then coming off the drug for the
> following four, could be useful in treating tinnitus. Another study
> showed it eases seasonal affective disorder.

I use melatonin for my 9 year old son who's autistic and has always had
definite sleep problems. Regarding sleep problems, it definitely makes a
difference with him. However, anyone considering using it should start with
a very low dose as it can fuck up your sleep patterns big time and cause
nervousness or even hyperactivity if the dose is too high, especially taken
during normal waking hours during the day. It really should only be taken
before bedtime. Regarding hearing benefits, there is documented proof it
does help, especially with people who having ringing when they're trying to
sleep or relax with little or no outside audio stimulus. Here in the US, it
can be bought at any vitamin or health food store.

T.B.