Tinnitus Re: [kj] RE: OT: MAKE IT STOP!

Jari Pakarinen jari at suddendeafness.net
Fri Aug 11 12:00:21 EDT 2006

Here's the whole thing:

Melatonin

What it is
A hormone produced in the brain's pineal gland that is best known for
controlling the wake/sleep cycle. Levels rise in the evening, and
subside in the morning.

What it claims to do
Helps counter sleep deprivation and jetlag.

What to look for on the label
Melatonin can't be bought in UK shops,but, it is widely available on
the internet or in the US. Look for dosages of 2mg of melatonin which
should be taken on the first evening you arrive in a new time zone.
Continue this dosage for five days.

Does it work?
Several trials have shown it can help prevent jetlag. This year a
team at Washington University found that taking 3mg daily (a higher
than normal dose) for four weeks, then coming off the drug for the
following four, could be useful in treating tinnitus. Another study
showed it eases seasonal affective disorder.

Jari