[kj] OT: MAKE IT STOP!

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Tue Aug 8 12:22:04 EDT 2006

"Alex Smith"wrote:

>  Hey gang,....
>
>  As many of you Gathering oldsters might remember from my whiney e-mails
> back in the day, I developed Tinnitus in my right ear back in October of
> 1999. In the ensuing years, the persistent ringing more or less
> levelled-off (this after a two-year moratorium on headphones). In the last
> month, however, the ringing has inexplicably increased in volume and
> annoyance. I don't know if it's my diet or work-related stress or the time
> of year or being irresponsile with my iPod (that's probably it right
> there), but it's a bit worse than it has been.
>
>  I was wondering if anyone out there in Gatheringland similarly suffers
> from Tinnitus and, if so, what are you doing about it? I'm seriously
> looking into trying accupuncture. It has a somewhat dubious track record
> of success in Tinnitus treatment, but if sticking needles in my head has a
> chance of liberating me from the demonic gremlin with an air-horn who
> lives in my head, I'm all fucking for it.

It's the Ipod headphones, no doubt about it. They're so cheap and push
exactly the kind of narrow range of high frequencies into your ears when
listening that exacerbate tinnitus. The only way you'll get over (some) of
the ringing is to simply stop using Ipod headphones. If you absolutely must
use headphones, invest in a pair that are not "in-ear" like Ipod earbuds and
have a fuller range of audio playback.

T.B.