[kj] Perceptions so far - the soundalikes

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 12 17:40:08 EDT 2006

I like both albums, but I much prefer the Hosannas songs in the two
soundalikes you mention:

Lightbringer achieves a nice trance and funky groove for me, whereas
Asteroid always felt like just a headbanger shouting match. I can never
get through the whole thing. On Lightbringer, I wish Jaz sang with the
music more during the chorus, but I really like the timing of the vocals
during the verses ("who knew precisely...(1-2-3-4) the earth's diamter")
even when I'm not buying the lyrical content.

Dark Forces has an almost-rousing chorus...but the verses tire me and
the strings are canned; the lyrical sentiment of Dark Forces is still
some times enough to make me play it, though. Invocation -- it has no
chorus! But at least the strings are more textured and real. Match its
"verses" with some kind of chorus and I'd like it a little more.