[kj] F F S 1 1 !

DAVE AXFORD daxford at rogers.com
Tue Apr 11 08:44:18 EDT 2006

>   How does America expect to take the "War on Terror" global, when it cant
> even conquer and stabilise Iraq?

Don't be confused with officially stated objectives and actual objectives. The U.S. could care less about bring Democracy and Freedom to Iraq... It's all about controlling the oil.

> How can it hunt Terrorists on a global scale when it cant even capture Bin
> Laden in his own backyard ?

Having the boogey man still at large is a useful propaganda tool... "Iran's link to Osama" and such.

 Lets not forget that this War was started with
> the sole intention of finding Weapons of mass destruction (which could be
> deployed within 45 minutes) in Iraq, and now its progressed to a global
> campaign

The powers that be, had to sell the war to the American public and to the world. To say "We're going to take their oil" wouldn't have flown... So it was tarted up to be a war to get rid of an evil dictator, to eliminate WMD and bring peace and democracy to the good people of Iraq.

>    I cant see America being able to sustain a lengthy assault on
> "terrorists" globally, the monetary costs will he huge, as will the
> personnel costs.

I haven't done the math, but I'm sure someone in Washington has... If the U.S. has control of the majority of the worlds oil supply, how much does that benefit their economy?

 You cannot defeat terrorism, you cannot defeat the
> ideology of fanatics.

That is a Herculean task, isn't it?

You must live with them and try to contain them,
> rather than trying to annihilate them.

Can't imagine the present administration agreeing to that...

>     America cannot win this War because it doesnt have popular ground
> support from the locals. Did Vietnam teach them nothing?

I think they did. Don't be surprised when the U.S. "gives up trying to bring peace and democracy to Iraq" and installs a pro-American hardliner very similar to Saddam. Again, they don't want a democracy in Iraq. A democratically elected government could ask the U.S. to leave... Forget that! But in the mean time, they have to look like they're trying real hard to come good on their stated objectives.

 I can see the same
> thing happening again, America limping home after losing a War to an
> inferior equipped opposition, who has support at ground level

Well, Vietnam didn't have oil and the future of America's economy didn't rest on whether or not they won or lost. The Bush family however, is all about oil. They believe that controlling vast amounts of oil is the corner stone to a strong nation. Can't see them throwing in the towel on this one.

Dave