[kj] OT ***Power Chord Pioneer Link Wray Dies at 76

mr geordie mr_geordie at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 09:14:41 EST 2005

Many many written accounts mention this "invention of the powerchord"(Google
it and see!), almost always in the first sentence of any article about the
man.

The truth might be nearer what Paul Rangecroft has (already) said....he
probably didn't invent the chord by missing out the third from a major
chord, but he was using them first in the fashion of  rock/punk etc.

Maybe he didn't invent the chord but it was his use of it that gave us
something new?

My impression is that he was an innovator, and forrms a precious link
(sorry) between amplified country/blues/early rock n roll and the late 60'
noisemongers such as Jimi Hendrix/The Who and then on to The MC5.

Whatever your thoughts, we owe him a great deal!

There are many "best ofs" worth checking out.

Mr G.