[kj] On topic- sorry to intrude

Adrenachrome s_o_m_1959 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 13:41:59 EST 2005

--- Mikael Byström <mikael.bystrom at punkass.com> wrote:

> Phillipps Marc said:
>
> >Did I compare?
> Yes, as I clearly did NOT ask for MP3s, which would indicate for most
> people I'd want something for free. I asked for high quality,
> something
> most people would associate with purchasing the music. As you
> presented
> me with a stupid Mp3 link, you implicitly conveyed the message that
> "this
> must be as good as what you asked for". It's like if I asked for the
> US
> release of something and you decide to supply a link for the UK
> release.
> Stupid.

It is not true that allofmp3.com is confined to mp3 downloads:

Since November 2003 the web music merchant www.allofmp3.com, operated
by the Russian company Media Services, has been openly selling some of
the most popular western music at a fraction of the cost of widely
touted American sites, such as Apple's hugely successful iTunes,
Rhapsody, MusicMatch, Napster, Sony Connect. Clients can select from a
wide variety of encoding options (e.g., AAC, MP3, OGG, WMA 9 Lossless,
Monkey's Audio, OptimFROG and FLAC) starting at rates of 128kbps all
the way to full CD (.wav files). Unlike its major competitors Allofmp3
sells the tracks by the megabyte. Beginning in January rates were
doubled to USD 0.02/MB. Instead of paying USD 1.00 per track AllofMP3
users pay less than USD 0.10 and less the USD 2.00 per album. Currently
the site boasts almost 30,000 albums from all genre and it all appears
legal for the moment.

Source
<http://music.tinfoil.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1133>

Not sure about the legality of the enterprise, but it is my
understanding that the artists, at least, get their royalties.

BTW. Hello all. I am a long-time lurker living in Brighton. Football
team Aston Villa (sob) American KC Chiefs (sob).