[kj] Peter West Goes Disc Shopping...

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 3 16:16:31 EST 2005

I don't mind, really. I mean, I'll grant you that it *can* be tiresome sometimes. My biggest pet peeve is the following scenario:

Alex: Excuse me, do you have the new Killing Joke disc?
Clerk (to assitant in back of store): Hey Henry, is there a new Killing Joke disc?
Assistant: Uhhh....I don't think so.
Clerk: No, there isn't one.

Dick, I didn't ask *IF* there is a new one, I asked if you have it. I can tell you what it looks like, what's on it and what it's fucking serial number is. The question remains: DO *YOU* STOCK IT? Just because you're on *THAT* side of the counter, that doesn't make you a fucking expert.

That said, the advent of the internet has made the world a much smaller place. Rare 7" vinyl that one used to have to scour through dusty basement shops for can now be found with only a few clicks of a mouse. As such, lots of mom'n'pop specialty shops (not the big chain stores) have summarily gone out of business here in NYC (or, at the very least, changed their line of business to internet sales and closed their shops). I actually miss the lost art of scouring through disc shops and record stores, looking for those Holy Grail-like items. I mean, now that I'm 38 and married and with a job etc. etc., I obviously don't have the same amount of time to devote to shopping for elusive records, so in that respect, internet shopping is great -- but I do miss the hunt, you know?

Alex in NYC