[kj] ot: GANG OF FOUR last night

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Wed May 18 13:20:26 EDT 2005

Holy fucking Hell: I saw Gang of Four last night at Irving Plaza and
they blew a hole in the back of the place and a new part in my hair in
the process. They may be a bit grayer and fatter (especially Hugo), but
fuck -- they are so "in the pocket" that is sounded like they'd never
been away.   Jon is still a hyper-kinetic performer, and I'd forgotten
how utterly supercool and scowly Andy Gill was (sort've like a cross
between X's Billy Zoom and our own beloved Geordie). Absolutely great,
although I'd forgotten how much I hate sold-out capacity crowds. Stuck
behind a tall gent (and I'm 6'1") with a fuckin' hairy neck. Ugh.

Amazing set list. The highlights for me were easily "To Hell With
Poverty," "Damaged Goods", "Anthrax" (complete with serious guitar
abuse via Mr.GIll) and an absolutely visceral rendition of  "He'd Send
in the Army," with Jon whacking out the beat on an amp with a baseball
bat.

If you get the opportunity to see them and don't seize it, you're a
fool.

Alex in NYC