[kj] URGENT: NYC, DC and Philly gatherers: SEE GANG OF FOUR

Thomas Kennedy tkennedy1999 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 17 01:03:07 EDT 2005

Yes.  They were awesome here on the west coast at Coachella and the Fillmore (S.F.).  They've dropped the artsy pretense and just rock now.   Can't wait to see GOF again!

Tom.

GregSlawson at aol.com wrote:
Just got back from the Boston, Mass. GOF show. How ridiculous! They were way better than I remember them from about 1982. They did most of the 1st album (except for the one that goes "guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment", "Paralyzed" from Solid Gold, a much much better, speedy version of "We Live As We Dream Alone", plus "To Hell W/Poverty" and a decent song I didn't recognize (from Shrinkwrapped?). The sound was perfect, as was the performance. The huge Boston audience treated them like rock gods, but their stage presence justified it--the never-smiling Andy Gill, who threw his guitar on the floor at one point to get more feedback, Dave Allen prancing around the stage like a 21 year old on speed, Professor Hugo's (now teaching in Boston!) precision drumming, and Jon King gyrating like Midnight Oil's singer, jumping around the stage like a monkey, falling over after especially serious lyrics, and during the one song pounding a baseball bat on a metal cabinet to the beat
 (like on the album version), then throwing the metal thing to the side of the stage and beating it more, to his own rhythm. Boston audiences demand full-throttle performances, and they got one tonight. A Mission of Burma (not one of my fave's) member was in the audience near me, and I metioned to him that they sound like GOF too. They're still doing shows in NYC, DC, and Philly, so go or die. I found that essence rare. _______________________________________________
Gathering mailing list
Gathering at misera.net