[kj] URGENT: NYC, DC and Philly gatherers: SEE GANG OF FOUR

GregSlawson at aol.com GregSlawson at aol.com
Tue May 17 00:16:25 EDT 2005

Just got back from the Boston, Mass. GOF show. How ridiculous! They were way
better than I remember them from about 1982. They did most of the 1st album
(except for the one that goes "guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment",
"Paralyzed" from Solid Gold, a much much better, speedy version of "We Live As
We Dream Alone", plus "To Hell W/Poverty" and a decent song I didn't recognize
(from Shrinkwrapped?). The sound was perfect, as was the performance. The huge
Boston audience treated them like rock gods, but their stage presence
justified it--the never-smiling Andy Gill, who threw his guitar on the floor at one
point to get more feedback, Dave Allen prancing around the stage like a 21 year
old on speed, Professor Hugo's (now teaching in Boston!) precision drumming,
and Jon King gyrating like Midnight Oil's singer, jumping around the stage
like a monkey, falling over after especially serious lyrics, and during the one
song pounding a baseball bat on a metal cabinet to the beat (like on the album
version), then throwing the metal thing to the side of the stage and beating
it more, to his own rhythm. Boston audiences demand full-throttle performances,
and they got one tonight. A Mission of Burma (not one of my fave's) member
was in the audience near me, and I metioned to him that they sound like GOF too.
They're still doing shows in NYC, DC, and Philly, so go or die. I found that
essence rare.