[kj]Alex is Actually Still Quite Right

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 18:01:56 EDT 2005

At the end of the day, the song is Tim Buckley's (as, I believe, you
yourself pointed out).

The Cocteau Twins have -- once again -- NEVER, NEVER, NEVER released
"Song to the Siren". Members of the band happened to record a version,
though under the direction and cooperation of the studio conglomerate
that was This Mortal Coil. That they have performed it live is
incidental. U2 have performed "Love Will Tear Us Apart" live. That
doesn't make it theirs.

This is, of course, a completely ridiculous debate. As both Peter and I
are well aware, Robin and Liz of the Cocteaus are the ones who lend
This Mortal Coil's "Song to the Siren" its greatness. When I first
heard this version of "Song to the Siren", it was courtesy of a mix
tape my friend Charlie -- spending a year in a British college -- which
included no listing. When I later quizzed him about it, I believe he
said "Oh, it's the Cocteau Twins." So, off I went in search of "Song to
the Siren" as recorded by the Cocteau Twins.....WHICH, IN POINT OF
FACT, DOES NOT EXIST. "Song to the Siren" -- with Liz and Robin of the
Cocteaus -- as it turned out, was recorded and released by This Mortal
Coil.

I'm just giving as good as you give, Peter. Contrary to what some may
glean from this thread, I don't have any serious ill will for you. You
are a nice funny guy, and as far as I'm concerned, this argument is
just a bit of contentious fun. But you still need to find a way to plug
up that pipeline of verbal waste product that has as a faithfully
regular habit of spewing into and polluting the otherwise crystalline
waters of the Gatherers.

Incidentally, I just downloaded Robert Plant's rendition of "Song to
the Siren," and I think we can all agree that it's a shivering dollop
of yak dung when compared to any of the other versions.

MOUTH DIAPER!!!

Alex in NYC