[kj] The Punk And Oi

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 31 10:59:48 EST 2005

Dave sed:
"Harking back to the Stranglers debate – Five Minutes – how punk
fucking rock is that, always gets the hairs on the back of the neck to
attention that baby! Rattus is my LP of choice, who these days works a
bass neck like JJ on Goodbye Toulouse?

Oh man, don't get me started on great Stranglers tracks --- we'll be
here all day.

Alex in NYC's Top Ten Stranglers Tracks (like any of you care):

1. "Five Minutes" -- like Dave said, it's the fucking business. Some of
Hugh's finest guitar playing here too. Great video as well, with a
scowling Jet Black playing standing up.  If only they stayed on this
course.
2. "The Raven" -- Sure, there's some dubious proggery at work here, but
Dave Greenfeld's keyboards really wail on this track. Great mysterious
vibe as well.
3. "Straighten Out" -- A close second to "Five Minutes" in the full-on
Punk department.
4. "Something Better Change" -- Trying to hard to be anthemic, but it's
still a great track
5. "Ice Queen" -- Latter-era, cool Stranglers, but featuring one of the
greatest keyboard hooks of all time.
6. "No More Heroes" -- Do I need to explain this one?
7. "Just Like Nothing On Earth" (live version from BBC Sessions) - Just
a great, gruff performance with amazing bass batterings by JJ.
8. "Peaches" -- see (6)
9. "Hanging Around" - because it's simply great.
10. "Manna Machine" -- from THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO THE MENINBLACK --
just a seriously creepy, atmospheric track.

11. "Burning Up Time" - Another great punky stomper.
12. "Walk on By" -- Keep your Doors comparisons to yourself. Hugh's
restrained, lyrical guitar playing in the mid-section is amazing.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Alex in NYC