[kj] Ramones, punk rock hippy clothes horses

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 25 13:01:08 EST 2005

Obviously "the look" played a big part (especially for lazy journalists
who needed something to sensationalize), but my assertion that Punk
Rock nothing to do with clothes was a retort to Peter's attack that
"the Ramones had long hair and wore sneakers" (yes, they did....and
they still did it better than the British bands whom they all inspired).

Alex in NYC

On Friday, March 25, 2005, at 05:43 AM, bernies wrote:

> I can see the monkey's point but I think it's more likely that the
> Ramones were anti-hippy, though the slacker ethic certainly informed
> their very existence, just on different drugs. Have to disagree with
> Alex though. Punk has EVERYTHING to do with clothes. Or are we making
> a distinction between Punk and Punk Rock? If you want to take up the
> clothes issue just look at the Pistols (the original punk clothes
> horses) and especially the Clash (who elevated punk's clothes fetish
> to an artform).
>
> Let's face it, it can't have been difficult to 'create' the sound of
> punk whoever did it (Ramones/Pistols/Dolls, fucking Swinging Blue
> Jeans for all I care). Punk WAS much more an attitude/image/way of
> life than just music. C'mon Alex, even the Ramones had their uniform.
> Punk was also very much of its time. There are no more punk bands (I
> mean, Green Day? Hello?).
>
> As for Killing Joke being prog there are definitely prog elements
> creeping in around Night Time and beyond but I think Jaz's makeup was
> more Alex Harvey band than Peter Gabriel. Surely Ramones were just as
> much hippy as punk. Not a huge fan of the music but I like the more
> thoughtful stuff like Something to Believe In, Bonzo Goes to Bitburg
> era etc.
>
> What do you guysh fink?

<image.tiff>

<image.tiff>