[kj] wot ya listening to

Jerry Butson jerrybutson at dtsonline.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 04:47:03 EST 2005

 Peter,

I'm no Miles expert myself but try Sketches of Spain. I'm a sucker for
that muted trumpet and lush Gil Evans string arrangements. See The
Pan-piper for full effect. Then there's the gorgeous version of Autumn
Leaves, not sure which album that's from. On a similar tack have you
heard John Barry's soundtrack for the film "Playing by Heart"? We're
talking melancholy jazz/blues at its best, apparently highly influenced
by the work of Chet Baker. I've been meaning to check Chet out some more
but had one album once that didn't do it for me.

Listening to a melancholy classic this morning: The Wake's "Here Comes
Everybody". Not that I need a downbeat soundtrack while my new boss
wages merciless psychological warfare on me, or maybe my work really is
crap! Oh crikey...