[kj] If you could choose KJ's drummer...

Ketracel White ketracelwhite at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 4 21:52:05 EST 2005

Absolutely agreed.  There's nothing more frustrating than relying on a
"stand-in".especially one that can do a great job in the studio - only to
bail out after they've busted their "nut" & have no plans of sticking
around.  I saw (or perhaps read) an interview with Josh Homme of QOTSA where
he articulates his frustration with teaching multiple drummers his songs
(specifically in regards to Grohl playing on Songs For The Deaf).  He wound
up with Joey Castillo (of Sugartooth fame) & all complaints were laid to
rest at that point.  KJ definately need a permanent drummer, but it will
obviously be difficult to nail down someone worthwhile who's willing to put
up with their sporadic schedule.  I think Danny Carey and/or Mike Bordin
could definitely do the next album justice, but - again - it will be
difficult for any professional drummer to be able to commit to a sporadic
touring/recording schedule - it would have to be out of pure KJ-Love - and
Grohl obviously had no financial worries at the time he tracked KJ 2003.

As far as drummer suggestions that I've not heard as of yet - I'd offer up
Kelli Scott from Failure.  There's a drummer who'd be able to lay down some
KJ worthy drum tracks.  Another choice (as far as temporary drummers go) is
Shannon Larkin.who is currently the Bishop Squeezer for Godsmack - but his
previous gig was AMEN - who I believe opened for KJ on the 2003 tour.  I
don't think Shannon was playing drums on that tour, but he's a personal
friend and I KNOW Raven is a huge fan of his.  He told me some very
interesting stories about Raven a couple of years ago.

Chances are that this Ben fellow may be up to the task.  I haven't heard
him, but I have the feeling that any drummer that Raven gives the high sign
to will definately be worth his salt.  Anyone who's looking for a bread &
butter gig are obviously going to have to have multiple gigs on their table.

  _____