[kj] Seen Any Action?

Graeme Rowland crackedmachine at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 11:30:42 EST 2005

Now I can report that Gang of Four played just one
song I forgot (Why Theory?) and one that I didn't
recognise first time round (I Parade Myself) because I
enjoyed the entertainment enough to travel to Leeds
for another blast of Anthrax feedback. That turned out
to be the only slight disappointment as Andy Gill
didn't manage to get enough of a storm going as he
abandoned his guitar to howl on top of its amp. The
Manchester version was better. The Leeds version of
He'd Send in the army was much more vicious and
focused though, with less guitar meandering as Gill
hollered at King to batter the hell out of his broken
old microwave oven case with a crowbar. The theatrics
of it make it seem as if he's got all wound up after
having to leave the stage for Paralysed, as Andy Gill
wonders what has gone wrong. Dave Allen also gets to
do his sergeant major bark for He'd send in the Army,
a song with all three frontmen seeing some vocal
action.

They were introduced by the effusive Andy Kershaw, who
recounted his stint as booker of gigs at Leeds Uni and
raved about their gig back then, telling us they'd
formed in the Fenton pub, which is probably a slight
simplification but sounds nice as the pub is still
there and bands play upstairs - last I saw there was
Enon doing a set truncated by landlord / licensing but
I digress. Kershaw  reckoned it was them and The Clash
circa London Calling that had played the best gigs he
put on there.

I popped into the Fenton after the gig, where the
jukebox played the over familiar croon of JJ Burnel:
"Allow me to rearrange your face someday, I'd really
like to get to know you better" - Who Wants the World?

Andy Gill interview
http://www.perfectsoundforever.com/v/2005013/features/106

RTX interviewed by me
http://www.perfectsoundforever.com/v/2004121/features/86

=====
Cracked Machine irregular cyberzine
http://www.webinfo.co.uk/crackedmachine

"What one thinks of as extremes seldom are" :: BC Gilbert