[kj] great moments in KJ history, number 8

antoni at clara.net antoni at clara.net
Tue Jan 18 15:38:48 EST 2005

Right, I must admit my increase in postings is a combination of two factors. Firstly, I'm damn excited about the imminent gigs but secondly it helps to be signed off from work for 2 weeks with chicken pox. Fantastic. Hence, a bit more time on my hands. Therefore, a dip into the archives is the perfect tonic. Back to the dark days of 1988 following the acriminous KJ split then release of the Outside The Gate LP to fairly universal condemnation (though it still holds a place in my heart). So, what could be worse ? Apart from Chelsea getting relegated, as they duly were ... then my marriage broke up. So, what happened in my time of need ? The boys duly delivered. It was announced that Killing Joke was back. ODIC letters were received in the post, signed by Jaz & Geordie. I was ecstatic. Not just back, but with a real statement of intent. The new album was to be called "Extremities" ... http://home.clara.net/antoni/newkj88a.jpg ... the dry humour was still evident as Andy Rourke was briefly onboard yet jettisoned ... and a legendary & cultured gig to boot ... which included an early performance from Talvin Singh, many years before he received his Mercury Music Prize ... if only I could remember much about the evening ... I was so horribly drunk ... Regards, Antoni