[kj] semi-OT: Music vs. Message

xps1 xps1 at quick.cz
Tue Jan 18 15:20:58 EST 2005

What I like about KJ is that although KJ is that although their music is
quite dark it is not simply introvert and some songs are dealing with
political issues.
KJ are certainly not directly political band - directly political bands are
(were) Redskins or Chumbawamba is (to name some)... that are clearly
"agitprop" bands for certain political party/movement unlike KJ.

KJ have some political songs, but still quite emotionalas well .... which I
like.

What is politics of KJ (or their songs)?

I think really it is populism combining ideas of different political
currents... it contains
- environmentalism (sometimes even a bit in a "back to the trees" form)
- thirdworldism / anti-imperialism
- pacifism
- anti-neoliberalism/anti-globalisation
it is politically incoherent, you can hardly say what are KJs political
believes as a band (but I still like some lyrics a lot)

Reading and seeing some interviews with Jaz it seems to me that his
"politics" is actually more confused than what would you estimate after
reading their songs lyrics, even though Jaz wants to start his political
career soon standing in elections for Green Party.

And finally, chatting with many of you - KJ fans - I would say that KJ fans
tend to be politically more radical (and leftist) than the band. :) -----
few exceptions prove the rule. :D

Pavel