[kj] Ghostly goings on

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 10 07:54:00 EST 2005

I don't believe I've ever *SEEN* a ghost, but .........

About fifteen years ago, some friends of mine and I were staying at a
huge house on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. We'd all just graduated from
college and were blowing off some steam, eating lots of seafood,
listening to `round-the-clock airings of DISINTEGRATION by the Cure,
and drinking non-stop at our friend Scott's place. There was about
seven of us staying in this huge house on a hill overlooking the beach
(right adjacent to an old lighthouse). My friend Ed and I were up on
the third floor, whereas most of the rest of the group were split up
between the ground floor and the second floor. Anyway, one night (we
were there for about two weeks), after a massive lobster dinner, some
of us decided to turn in early, and others decided that they were going
to stay up and do bong hits or whatever (fucking hippies). Around 3am,
Ed and I were awakened by sounds of stomping around upstairs from us
(in the attic). Presuming that our stoner shithead friends were high
and feeling exploratory, Ed and I shouted out choruses of "GO TO SLEEP,
ASSHOLES!", etc. The stomping persisted for a bit, almost inspiring us
to go investigate and scold accordingly but it finally subsided, as we
grumbled ourselves back to sleep.

The next morning, I pulled Scott aside. "What the hell were you clowns
doing upstairs last night?" I asked. Scott  looked incredulous. "What
are you talking about?" he asked. I explained our evening of being
stirred by sounds of stomping in the attic.

Scott's reply: "Alex, the attic has been locked shut for about
twenty-five years."

Alex in nyc