[kj] Back in NYC/Custom Troubles/Big Thanks/PICTURES!

Neil Perry neilfperry at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 27 23:10:57 EST 2005

Thanks fuck they let you back in or we'd have to put
up with you a lot longer ;-0

Excellent pics - that one of Jaz and Colesy looks like
a velociraptor about to devour a small fluffy animal.

And thanks for holding my jacket while I joined the
knitting circle!

A top effort all round mate

 --- Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Good lord am I fucking tired. Yeah, this is another
> long one, but gimme
> a break. And there are links to pics at the bottom.
>
> Alex Back in NYC reporting once again for Active
> Duty.
>
> Got in this morning (after traipsing around London
> all day Saturday
> with List-Meister Misera). My flight was chock-full
> of THREE British
> high school classes combined on their way to a big
> communal visit to
> NYC. It was like flying over the Atlantic in a
> massive fucking school
> bus. Mr.inNYC was NOT at all pleased. They were
> fine, though, for the
> most part. On the way off the plane, who should be
> greeting me as I
> cross the threshold but Mr.RICHARD BRANSON, VIRGIN
> CEO himself!
> Actually shook the man's hand. Stranger than
> fiction.
>
> ....and then things got shitty again.
>
> I was pulled over -- quite unexpectedly and
> frustratingly inexplicably
> -- by U.S. CUSTOMS. That's right, MY OWN FUCKING
> COUNTRY decided that
> it needed to have a little chatty-chat with me.
> Going through the
> motions at the custom's gate, the decidedly
> unsmiling man behind the
> desk drew a BIG YELLOW LINE down my declaration card
> and told me to
> "see the gate clerk." Not clued in that something
> was up, said clerk
> said "go see Number 15!". Okay. I walk over to
> Number Fifteen (despite
> the good-natured entreaties of clearly bored Number
> Sixteen, a jovial
> black gent). Oh no, I went with equally unsmiling
> Number Fifteen, a
> true jarhead with a buzzcut and a bad attitude. At
> this point, I
> *STILL* haven't realized that something is up. "Have
> you ever been in
> trouble with Customs before, sir?" he barks.
> "Umm.....what do you mean
> before? Am I in trouble with Customs NOW?" "Just
> answer the question,
> sir!" Fuck. "No sir." "Have you ever lived in
> Seattle?" "Ummmm....no,
> I'm a native New Yorker and always have been --- and
> have lots of
> documentation to support it". "What do you do for a
> living, sir?"
> "Ummm...I'm a journalist, I supp..." "LET ME SEE
> YOUR PASSPORT NUMBER
> IMMEDIATELY!" By this point, I'm getting alarmed.
> "Ummm....is something
> wrong?" I'm panicking now, as I didn't declare the
> six little jars of
> fancy mustard I bought at Fortnum & Mason for my
> mother-in-law. But,
> somewhat surprisingly, they don't look in my bag.
> Lots of frowning,
> typing, brow-furrowing and suspicious staring.
> Finally, some stamping
> of my passport and I'm given a "comment card". "Am I
> in trouble,
> [...]
=== message truncated ===