[kj] deaf

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 25 07:39:40 EST 2005

*I LIVE!*

Hello all -- typing at you from an internet cafe on .....fuck, where am I? Why must fucking London be so fucking confusing? Anyway, I'm somewhere in South Kensington. Into my second coffee of the day. Hearing is slowly coming back.  Alcohol still firmly entrenched in my long-suffering system, it seems.

Re: last night, what can I say? Well, it wouldn't really matter what I'd say, BECAUSE I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO FUCKING HEAR MYSELF SPEAK, let alone think. A bit loud, eh? Still, an amazing fucking time had by all. Cheers to the legion of like-minded Gatherers who (a) didn't let me pay for any drinks (b) gave me richly undeserved spoils like signed posters and whatnot (c) put up with my beery breath after several ill-advised pints of Grolsch (d) hoisted my wobbly, ever-expanding frame up and aloft  -- amidst the sweaty heads and dubious hair-styles of the front trenchs, where I'd summarily be plucked from the skies like a ripe fruit by the security bouncers and tossed back into the roiling, gaping maw of savagery.

Anyway, the mere fact "Are you Receiving?" got an airring means I can die a happy man, pickled in mine own beer-sodden secretions. MORE AGAIN TONIGHT, THEN???

So, I'm supposed to go check into the office (TIME Bureau) today....but  instead of lunch, I'm going in at 3pm. WHen they asked why I was in London, I explained. They said: "well, perhaps you should know, then, that one of the regional editors here is married to ANDY GILL!" Why am I always the last to know? Should be interesting.

Anyway, I'm going to sign off now and  invariably get lost. What time are we meeting up at the Goldhawk again?  Rob and a few others have my number, so please use it and clue my stupid ass in.

Thanks to everyone who helped me along last night. I promise not to drop anymore pints of beer in front of anyone's wife ever, ever, ever again. Well, I'll try, at least.

See you all again tonight.

Cheers,
Alex in NY....WHOOPS, ALEX IN LONDON